The wide-ranging food and retail redevelopment at Reagan National and Dulles International airports is taking another step forward with the announcement of the second phase of new shopping and dining options coming this year. When the second phase is complete this fall, customers will have nearly 70 new airport food and retail options to choose from, with more additions to come through 2015.
International and domestic passengers at Washington Dulles International Airport will have the opportunity to browse and buy at such leading retailers as Michael Kors, Estee Lauder, L’Occitane, Burberry andCoach and dine at Chef Geoff’s and Bar Symon. Travelers will also have the option of a relaxing pre-security meal at the new District Chophouse to be located on the Main Terminal building’s ticketing level. Some may choose to grab a quick bite at other local favorites such as &pizza or Smashburger beyond security.
“The new shops and restaurants will bring more world-class offerings to a world-class airport,” said Chris Browne, vice president and airport manager for Washington Dulles International Airport. “The improvement to the food and retail offerings at Dulles will fit nicely with the significant facility expansions we have completed in recent years. All of these changes will benefit our passengers from the moment they come in the door to liftoff from one of our four runways.”
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which already has major changes underway with pre-security construction, including Legal Sea Foods and Ben’s Chili Bowl, will add local favorites &pizza and Taylor Gourmet to its second wave of food and retail choices.
“The new offerings will create a wonderful new customer experience.” said Steve Baker, vice president for business administration. “Our goal is to optimize the balance of local and international offerings and provide just the right mix of healthy and indulgent choices for our passengers.”
Construction of the shops and restaurants announced in Phase 1 continues, with the first new openings expected to begin in April. The previously announced redevelopment of Reagan National’s Terminal A also is moving forward as airlines add new domestic air service. An expanded security checkpoint opened in March, and a makeover of all Terminal A shops and restaurants will soon follow.
The Airports Authority has launched new web pages for airport customers to keep track of food and retail offerings under construction at Reagan National and Dulles International. The web pages will be regularly updated as construction of new shops and restaurants continues at both airports.
New/Enhanced Options Coming to Dulles International in 2014
Food and Beverage
- Bar Symon – Michael Symon, co-host of ABC’s The Chew, brings hearty farm-to-table fare
- D.C. Craft Brews – traditional favorites with selections of local beers
- Smashburger – handcrafted burgers that are smashed, seared and seasoned to order
- 'brb' (be right burger) – made-to-order gourmet burgers with chef-inspired toppings
- District ChopHouse – steakhouse classics
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill – flavorful, handmade Italian dishes
- Chef Geoff’s – Washington DC’s local favorite chef, serving contemporary cuisine
- '&pizza' – made-to-order specialty pizzas
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop – Fresh, fast, and friendly toasted sandwiches
- Starbucks – fresh-brewed coffee
- Capitol Grounds Coffee – café with coffee, soups, salads and sandwiches
- Michael Kors – latest jet-set apparel and accessories for women and men
- Coach – American luxury leather goods
- L’Occitane – natural beauty products
- Thomas Pink – British fashion apparel for men and women
- Chanel – designer beauty and accessories
- Dior – designer beauty and accessories
- Lancome – luxury perfumes and cosmetics
- Burberry – iconic British men’s and women’s apparel and accessories
- Montblanc – manufacturer of writing instruments, watches, jewelry and leather goods
- Estee Lauder – luxury perfumes and cosmetics
- Capitol City Ink
- The Washington Informer
Additional Options Coming to Reagan National in 2014
- Several food and retail concepts to be developed (previously announced – click here)
- &pizza – made-to-order specialty pizzas
- Taylor Gourmet – local gourmet sandwich shop
- Grille District – new restaurant & bar concept
- Starbucks – fresh-brewed coffee
The new offerings reflect an increasing passenger desire for branded retail and broader, healthier food choices at airports.
During the Airports Authority’s food and retail redevelopment program, 95 percent of all of the concessions will be converted or reconstructed. Construction will be carefully managed to have the least impact on airport passengers. As more than 150 new food and retail concepts are constructed, the Airports Authority will add to the number and location of basic passenger services such as electrical outlets and ATMs.
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority was established in 1987 by the governments of Virginia and the District of Columbia to manage and operate Washington’s Ronald Reagan National and Dulles International airports, which together serve more than 40 million passengers a year. The Airports Authority also operates and maintains the Dulles Airport Access Road and the Dulles Toll Road and manages construction of the Silver Line project, a 23-mile extension of the Washington region’s Metrorail system into Loudoun County, Va. No taxpayer money is used to operate the toll road, which is funded by toll revenues, or the airports, which are funded through aircraft landing fees, rents and revenues from concessions. The Silver Line construction is funded by a combination of toll-road revenues, airport contributions and federal, state and local government appropriations. The Airports Authority is led by a 17-member board of directors appointed by the governors of Virginia, Maryland, the mayor of Washington, D.C., and the president of the United States.