New permanent airline gates were constructed in the lower level of the Main Terminal to replace the temporary T-gates. The first completed phase of the Z-gates is located to the east of the airport’s original Airport Traffic Control Tower. The building features gates furnished with counters, holdrooms, restrooms, concessions, airline operations offices and other terminal services. The finishes are similar to the facilities already in place, in keeping with the character of the original design of the Dulles Main Terminal.
The Z-gates provide convenient access to flights from a concourse located adjacent to the Main Terminal. Further Z-gate construction will be coordinated with construction of the nearby Main Terminal Train station.
Statistics about the East Z-gates
- Date opened: August 1, 2005
- Number of gates: Constructed as 5 gates. Airline's present configuration is 4 gates.
- Program Cost: $26.4 million
- Contractors: Giuliani Associates Architects, PC - Design. Facchina Construction Co., Inc - Construction.
- Future Z-gate construction: Not yet scheduled.
Click below for more about this project