- U.S. citizenship
- Minimum age: 21
- High School graduate or G.E.D.
- Good physical and mental health
- Pass a vision and hearing test
- Pass a drug screening test
- Pass psychological and polygraph exams
- Sign a "Continue in Service" agreement
Applicants will be screened during a preliminary background investigation. Individual situations will be evaluated on a case by case basis; however, a good driving record and clear criminal history are essential. Please consider the following when evaluating your own eligibility.
You may be disqualified for any of the following situations:
- Any conviction for Driving Under the Influence (alcohol or drugs) in the past 5 years or 2 or more convictions during your lifetime
- Any 2 or more revocations of your drivers license, or 3 or more suspensions
- Any misdemeanor conviction within the last 3 years
- Any involvement in the distribution or manufacture of a controlled substance
- Any experimental use of marijuana in the last 3 years
- Any use, experimentally or otherwise, of PCP, LSD, heroin, methamphetamine, designer drugs, cocaine or any other form of hallucinogenic drug
- Any conviction of a felony, domestic violence or crime prohibiting the possession of a firearm
- Any conviction, pled guilty or no contest to any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including but not limited to petit larceny or any misdemeanor sex offense.
- Any past arrest, regardless of criminal conviction, will be reviewed and may disqualify you
- Any circumstances that indicate behavior that could pose a liability to this department
- No visible tattoos on the head, face, eyebrows, ears, or neck area. No visible tattoos that are obscene, advocates sexual, racial, ethnic or religious discrimination, or are of a nature that tends to bring discredit upon the department. Applicants are subject to being inspected to determine whether they are in violation of this policy.