Washington’s Airports are decked out in pink to usher in the beautiful blooms that will replace snowy scenes, marking the opening of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. Travelers arriving from around the world at Washington Dulles International Airport and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport will see hundreds of trees in their early spring splendor by day and airport buildings lit in pink by night. In addition, cherry blossom-themed promotions and entertainment will be offered during the month-long festival from March 15 through April 16.
“Reagan National and Dulles International, the nation’s airports, are ready for the arrival of spring and the hundreds of thousands of visitors coming to Washington to enjoy the National Cherry Blossom Festival,” said Airports Authority President and CEO Jack Potter. “We are proud our airports will serve as gateways for people traveling from around the nation and the globe to see nature’s spectacular beauty on full display. We hope everyone enjoys the airport activities and decorations that will welcome them to the National Capital region.”
Reagan National has more than
Dulles International’s Main Terminal
Promotions During the Festival:
- Customers who make a combined pre-tax purchase of more than $100 at two or more retail or food locations are eligible to receive a free National Cherry Blossom Festival coaster set. Customers can redeem receipts at specified stores throughout the airport. The promotion runs from March 20 to April 17, while supplies last.
- Several restaurants and bars will offer pink-themed menu selections and drinks from March 20 to April 17.
- Social media followers of airport Facebook pages will have opportunities to win free tickets to official Cherry Blossom Festival events. Details here.
- Pink lighting will illuminate the iconic Main Terminal at Dulles International and the parking garage stairwells at Reagan National at night throughout the festival.
- Passengers will be entertained by Cherry Blossom stilt walkers strolling through airport halls pre- and post-security from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays (March 24, March 31, April 7 and April 14).
- TapSnap photo entertainment will take souvenir photos with passengers throughout Reagan National and Dulles International from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on March 24 and April 14.
- Visitors will enjoy paint sessions by Japanese Sumi-E artist Yoshiko Oishi Weick while Cellist Peter Kibbe performs at Dulles International on Thursday, April 6, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and at Reagan National on Friday, April 7, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Weekend Parking Special at Reagan National:
- During each weekend of the festival, visitors can park at Reagan National in Garage B and C for a special $10 rate, providing convenient access to the National Mall via Metrorail. Print and use the coupon or reserve parking in advance at FlyReagan.com/CherryPark using promo code: Cherry2017. Only weekend stays of 8 hours or less are eligible for the special rate.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival runs from March 15 to April 16. Visit nationalcherryblossomfestival.org for more information. Visit flydulles.com/cherryblossoms and flyreagan.com/cherryblossoms for helpful links and details about all airport promotions and celebrations.
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority operates Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Washington Dulles International Airport, the Dulles Airport Access Highway and the Dulles Toll Road and also manages construction of the Silver Line project, a 23-mile extension of the Washington region’s Metrorail public transit system through Fairfax County and into Loudoun County, Virginia. More than 45 million passengers a year pass through the two airports. The Airports Authority generates more than generates more than 387,000 jobs in the National Capital Region.