Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Holiday Season- Free Parking at Dulles
Thanksgiving Travel Airport Tips
Travelers coming to Ronald Reagan Washington National and Washington Dulles International Airports this Thanksgiving should be prepared for security procedures and arrive early for their flight. The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority is offering travel advice to area travelers.
"While frequent fliers may have become accustomed to federal security procedures, passengers who travel less often or who are accompanied by children should expect to spend extra time at the airport to check their bags and clear security checkpoints. In addition, we are seeing many more people using our airports. We advise travelers to come early and be prepared," says Airports Authority President/CEO James E. Bennett.
The Airports Authority offers these travel tips:
Before You Go to the Ticket Counter
- Make sure your suitcase can be examined by the security screeners
- Consider using the airline ticket kiosk if you have an e-ticket
- Be sure to have a boarding pass BEFORE you leave the ticketing area.because you must show it at the security screening checkpoint
- Place i.d. tags on the inside and outside of your checked baggage.
- A government-issued photo identification such as a driver's license or Passport is required of passengers over age 18.
Before You Go to the Security Checkpoint
- Do NOT pack or bring prohibited items to the airport. Visit http://www.tsa.govfor a complete list.
- Leave gifts unwrapped. They may be opened for inspection.
- Avoid wearing clothing, jewelry, and accessories that contain metal and may set off the alarm at screening checkpoints. Be prepared to remove your shoes.
- Put cameras and undeveloped film in your carry-on baggage. Checked baggage screening equipment will damage some undeveloped film.
- Carry-on baggage is limited to one carry-on bag plus one personal item. Personal items include laptops, purses, small backpacks, briefcases, or camera cases.
- Place identification tags inside and outside of all of your baggage. Don't forget your laptop computer; be sure to put an i.d. label on the computer and the carrying case.
A complete overview of the Transportation Security Administration procedures and travel tips is available atwww.TSATravelTips.us.
Arrive early -- Travelers are urged to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before domestic flights and 3 hours before international flights to allow enough time for ground transportation, parking, luggage check-in and security screening.
Extra time will let you take advantage of the selection of shops and restaurants at the airports before your flight.
Dulles Holiday Special!
Free parking in the Dulles Parking Garages only, on Thanksgiving Day, November 27th.*
PAY & GO is now available at Dulles to avoid lines at the parking exits. Drivers who park at Dulles Airport should take their parking ticket with them and use the Pay & Go Machines as they exit the Terminal building. Pay & Go Machines are located in the lower level of the Terminal near the east and west exit doors. The machines accept $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills and MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover Card and Diners Club credit cards.
Once the ticket is paid at the Pay & Go machine in the Terminal, drivers exit at the Pay & Go lanes with the paid ticket without having to stop at the cashier booth. Free Airport shuttle buses operate between the economy lots to the terminals. For parking information at Dulles, please call 703-572-4500.
At Reagan National, travelers who drive and park should call ahead to check availability of parking. Receive up-to-the-minute parking information by calling 703-417-PARK (7275).
Call In Before Check-In: Call your airline's 800 number to confirm your flight or to verify security regulations related to checked baggage. Weather can greatly affect flight schedules. Snow and winter storms may cause delays or even cancellations so check the local weather forecasts and those for the destination to which you are traveling.
Try the Washington Flyer or SuperShuttle Service-- Consider using the Washington Flyer express bus service from the Metro West Falls Church Station to Dulles Airport. For information about this service, please call 703- 685-1400 or 1-888-WASHFLY. In addition, SuperShuttle provides door-to-door shared-ride service to the airports. Call 1-800-BLUEVAN. For more information on these services, log onto www.washfly.com.
Take Metro -- Travelers using National Airport often find Metro a good alternative to driving. The Airports Authority also encourages Dulles passengers to consider taking Metro to the West Falls Church Station and connecting to the Washington Flyer Bus to Dulles.
Travel wisely-- Carry medicine, cash, jewelry and other important valuables with you on the plane. If you leave your car at the airport, remove any valuables. Carry your purse and wallet securely, and keep your luggage and carry-on items in your sight at all times. Under security procedures unattended bags and other items will be confiscated and destroyed
For more information about Ronald Reagan Washington National and Washington Dulles International Airports, call703- 417-8000 for National and 703-572-2700 for Dulles. The Airports also have a website.
* Under this offer, customers park 24 hours in the Daily Parking Garages at Washington Dulles International Airport for the period that includes all or part of November 27, 2003. Space in the Daily Parking Garages is not guaranteed and the Airport is not liable if parking is not available in the Daily Parking Garages on these dates. This offer is not available at any other parking lot on Washington Dulles International Airport or on any other dates. All other terms and conditions governing parking at Washington Dulles International Airport remain applicable.