Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Privacy Statement and Website Policy
On-Line Privacy and Website Policy
Information Collected Automatically
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (Airports Authority) is committed to maintaining online privacy for users of Airports Authority websites. This Airports Authority On-Line Privacy and Website Policy applies to data collected from, and as a result of, your use of Airports Authority-owned websites, as well as online services available on the Airports Authority’s websites. As a result of accessing an Airports Authority website, information about your visit is automatically collected and stored. This information does not identify you personally. The Airports Authority automatically collects and stores only the following information about your visit:
- The Internet domain (for example, "youragency.gov" if you connect from a government domain, "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain, or "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are using the Internet) from which you access our websites;
- The type of browser and operating system you use to access our websites;
- The date and time you access our websites;
- The pages you visit;
- If you linked to our websites from another website, the address of that website; and
- In some cases, which links you follow from our websites.
The Airports Authority uses this information to help us make our websites more useful to visitors, to learn about the number of visitors to our websites, and to better understand the types of technology our visitors use.
The Airports Authority utilizes two types of "cookies," described below. A "cookie" is a file placed on your hard drive by a website:
- A “session" cookie, which is temporary and lasts only for the time period your browser is open and enables better browsing or navigation through our websites.
- A “persistent” cookie, which is stored on your hard drive and allows our websites to differentiate between new users and returning users.
To prevent the use of either type of cookie, you can “turn off” cookies within your browser. Turning off cookies may impact your user experience while visiting our websites, but you will be able to continue to access all information on our websites.
The Airports Authority collects personal information (such as your name, email address, credit card information or telephone number) only when it is specifically and knowingly provided by you. The Airports Authority uses the personal information we collect solely for Airports Authority-related services, or as otherwise required by law. Also, the Airports Authority will disclose personal information you provide pursuant to our Freedom of Information Policy when the information is not exempt from disclosure by the Policy. The Airports Authority does not create individual profiles with the information you provide, nor does it give or sell the information to any private organizations. Nor does the Airports Authority collect information for third party commercial marketing, or sell data for direct mail or advertising purposes. You will have the ability to opt out of any future promotional communications from the Airports Authority at the time you submit your email address or other personal information.
Links to Third Party Websites
The Airports Authority takes security of information and systems very seriously and employs industry accepted best practices to secure its websites and all information entrusted to us. Airports Authority practices include: employing internal access controls to information; encrypting sensitive data; employing password protections, firewalls, and anti-virus/anti-malware software; applying security patches; and periodically testing and upgrading security.
Notification of Changes
The Airports Authority reserves the right to make changes to this policy at any time, without notice. If the Airports Authority changes this policy, it will post any changes so that you are always aware of what information is collected, how that information is used, and under what circumstances, if any, the information is disclosed.
Send questions about this policy or about your dealings with Airports Authority websites to:
1 Aviation Circle
Washington, DC 20001-6000