Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Public Hearings Set on National Airport Taxicab Service
In 1994, the Airports Authority adopted an airport taxicab permit for taxicab drivers from the seven local jurisdictions permitted to serve the Airport. This permit authorizes drivers to pick up passengers at National, using the dispatch system operated by the Airport. The permit is issued to drivers who successfully pass an examination testing their knowledge of the Washington metropolitan area.
The Airports Authority is proposing additional requirements for taxicab drivers operating at the Airport with key proposals listed below:
Phased-in vehicle age requirements for taxicabs -- on January 1, 1999, all taxicabs must be no more than ten years old; on January 1, 2000, all taxicabs must be no more than eight years old; January 1, 2001, all taxicabs must be no more than six years old.
- Taxicabs must have functioning air conditioning;
- Taxicab drivers must not smoke when passengers are in their vehicles;
- By January 1, 2000, all taxicabs dispatched from National must have taximeters;
- Taxicab drivers must accept credit card payment;
- Increase the airport dispatch fee from $1.25 to $1.75 (This fee is added to the passengers= taxicab fare and funds the operation of the taxicab dispatch system and maintenance of the taxicab facilities at the Airport);
- Seat belts must be present and in good repair; and
- Taxicab drivers may pick up passengers, on a prearranged basis, at National and Dulles Airports only if their licensing jurisdictions allow Washington Flyer Taxicabs to pick up passengers by prearrangement in that jurisdiction.
The complete text of the proposed amendments and the staff report are available for public inspection at the Airports Authority=s offices and copies are available by telephoning (703) 417-8615. Anyone wishing to attend these hearings may speak for or against the adoption of these amendments. Speakers must limit their remarks to five minutes.
The hearings are scheduled for:
7:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 15, 1998, at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City, 2799 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, Virginia.
7:30 p.m., Wednesday, September 16, 1998, at the Holiday Inn, 415 New Jersey Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C.
Written comments may be submitted to:
Office of the General Counsel, Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, 1 Aviation Circle, Washington, DC 20001-6000