Updates will be posted on airport social media if winter weather affects flight operations. Major impacts may also be reported atop airport homepages.
- Follow @Reagan_Airport here
- Follow @Dulles_Airport here
- Follow your airline for the most up-to-date travel guidance for ticketed passengers.
If you have flight reservations when snow is forecast, please consider these tips:
- In the early stages of a winter storm, airlines may pre-cancel flights to move planes away from storm-affected areas. Closely monitor your flight status using your airline's website or mobile app.
- Reservation change fees are typically waived by airlines to encourage re-booking flights away from storm-affected dates. Check with your airline to learn these policies and to make any reservation changes.
- During the storm, staffing in airport customer locations, such as ticket counters, may be limited. Use airline websites, apps, and call centers to make reservation changes.
- Please consider roadway or public transit conditions before starting any trips from your location to the airport.
- The airport keeps staffing on hand throughout the storm to handle snow removal on the airfield and on airport roads. Passenger services may reduce their staffing to minimum levels, and it can take time after the storm for to return to full staffing.
- Local hotels may offer the best overnight accommodation options for out-of-town guests whose flights are canceled. Many nearby hotels offer shuttle service to and from the terminal (depending on road conditions).
- After a major storm, it takes considerable time for airline flight schedules to return to normal as planes and crews are re-deployed.
- In the event of heavy snow, be prepared for service cancellations by Metrorail and public transit services.
- Services that could be slowed by snowy or icy conditions include baggage delivery, taxis, buses and shuttles.
From the Archives: Blizzard of January 2016
Washington's airports experienced blizzard conditions during the historic storm of January 22-24, 2016. Our YouTube channel has videos of airport snow removal.
Airport flight information is available on our website. However, it is recommended to visit your airline's website for the latest flight status updates.
- Flight Information at Reagan National Airport (DCA)
- Flight Information at Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- For nationwide air traffic information, view the FAA flight delay map.